Employment Opportunity – Coordinator, UAKN Secretariat
The National Association of Friendship Centres (NAFC) is seeking a highly qualified, multi-talented, and experienced individual to coordinate the NAFC’s Urban Aboriginal Knowledge Secretariat (UAKN).
The goal of the UAKN is to contribute to a better quality of life for urban Indigenous people. This goal is achieved through funding high-quality, policy relevant research that brings together perspectives from academia, government and the urban Indigenous community.
The UAKN Coordinator will be responsible for assisting the UAKN Network in instituting the national projects, governance, communications, regional support and to overall maintenance of the UAKN including project wrap up, reporting and evaluation.
The candidate will also be familiar with urban Indigenous issues at the community, regional and national levels and have strong coordination and planning skills.
APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS:
- University degree (graduate level preferred) or demonstrated competency in equivalent levels of experience;
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision and as part of a team;
- Ability to build relationships with various stakeholders;
- Experience in working within a national Indigenous organization structure and context;
- Minimum of three years project coordination experience;
- Knowledge of Indigenous research methodologies in addition to quantitative and qualitative research methods;
- Knowledge and understanding of NAFC’s issues, mandate, organizational structure and the Friendship Centre Movement;
- Knowledge and understanding of historical and contemporary Indigenous issues;
- Knowledge and understanding of the aspirations, values and cultures of urban Indigenous peoples;
- Comprehensive knowledge of software including Microsoft Office; knowledge of Excel and Smartsheet would be considered a strong asset;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- English is the working language however the ability to work in both official languages (English/French) is an asset. Fluency in an Indigenous language is also an asset.
- Assisting in the implementation of the UAKN Secretariat’s annual work plan and deliverables;
- Maintaining communications of the UAKN, including the website and social media;
- Assisting in the transmission of the UAKN goals and objectives to relevant stakeholders;
- Assisting in the implementation of the UAKN evaluation phase 1 with an external contractor in conducting an evaluation on the structure and governance of the UAKN;
- Assisting in the implementation of the UAKN evaluation phase 2 with videographer and regional research centres to create a video to highlight the impacts of community driven research, policy recommendations and its process;
- Planning and participating in meetings related to the UAKN including the planning of the annual UAKN face to face Network Council Meeting;
- Planning and participating in the UAKN National wrap up conference with the UAKN community members, academics, policy makers and partners;
- Assisting in the coordination and promotion of the regional knowledge mobilization events (4) as needed;
- Planning and coordination of a 5thknowledge mobilization event to be held in Ottawa with policy makers;
- Preparing briefing materials, memos, and reporting including but not limited to;
- SSHRC reporting
- Format final report and evaluation documents
- UAKN publication with final papers
- Supporting administrative operations;
- Carry out any other position related duties as may be assigned from time to time.
HOW TO APPLY
candidates should submit a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to Jocelyn Formsma, NAFC Executive Director by email to email@example.com Fax (613) 594-3428 on or before Friday January 18, 2019.
Interviews will be held in Ottawa. While we appreciate all applications, only those candidates short-listed for an interview will be contact.
NAFC may cancel, postpone or revise employment opportunities at any time.
NAFC offers competitive salaries, strong benefits plan and a pension plan.
Ottawa, ON with some travel.
Term, full time position.
Position will be posted until filled.
Full PDF here!